You are here

General FAQs

  • Are there rooms available for attorneys to reserve for trials or other lengthy hearings?

    No, but there are attorney conference rooms available in all three courthouses for attorneys to use during business hours. Please note, these conference rooms cannot be reserved and is to be accessible for all attorneys' use during business hours. The Newark courthouse is the only location that may have rooms available in addition to the Attorney Conference room, counsel should ocntact the Judge's Courtroom Deputy for availability.

  • The eVoucher program sometimes signs out even though I am entering data.

    The eVoucher program only recognizes “action” items – like hitting the Save button – as activity and will periodically time out for security purposes. It is good practice to save your work often to prevent loss of data.

  • I am having trouble changing my username or password.

    To change your username, highlight and type over the existing username with the new one and click “Change.”
    To change your password: Click the word “Reset,” type in the new password twice and click “Reset” again. Passwords must be at least eight characters in length and contain 1) one lower-case character, 2) one-upper case character, 3) one number, and 4) one special character. It is important that you choose a strong password.

  • How do I receive information regarding services for a communication disability as a federal court participant

    It is the policy of this Court to provide reasonable accommodations to persons with communications disabilities. Sign language interpreters and other appropriate auxiliary aids and services are provided to participants (including parties, attorneys, witnesses and jurors) in federal court proceedings who are deaf, hearing-impaired, or have other communications disabilities. The court provides primary consideration to a participant’s choice of auxiliary aid or service.

    The individual designated for the District of New Jersey as the access coordinator for these services is Irene Caramuta, Clerk’s Office, Newark, New Jersey. She can be reached at 973-645-4621.

  • What kind of notification does the attorney of record receive on a case?

    All registered CM/ECF users will receive e-mail notification of all filings to a primary email address (there is an option of a secondary email address), which includes a hyperlink to the document.

  • Can I fax pleadings?

    Local Civil Rule 10.1(b) requires original documents to be filed. Faxes are not accepted, unless otherwise authorized by the court.

  • What is a deficient pleading?

    When the pleading does not conform to a Federal and/or Local Civil Rule it is considered deficient.

    The Clerk's Office is required to check incoming documents and identify pleadings that do not conform to the Federal and/or Local Civil Rules. When deficiencies are found, the pleading is forwarded to the judge for directions on whether to file the pleading or return it.

    Generally, if the deficient pleading is a motion, it is filed but not listed on the calendar, except at the express direction of the Court. A deficiency notice is sent to counsel and/or pro se litigant, directing the filer to correct the specified deficiencies in accordance with the Local Civil Rules.

  • Are there special requirements for filing a suit against the federal government?

    Service upon the United States, and Its Agencies, Corporations, or Officers is governed by Rule 4(i) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. Generally, you must serve the named defendant, the United States attorney for the District of New Jersey, and the United States Attorney General in Washington, D.C.

  • What are the requirements for removing a case from state court?

    Removal of cases from the state courts is governed by U.S.C. 28 §1441, et seq. The procedure for removal is found in §1446. The pleading for removing a case from the state court is called a Notice of Removal.

    Click here for Notice of Removal fee.

    Pursuant to §1446(a) the Notice of Removal must contain a short and plain statement of the grounds for removal, together with a copy of all process, pleadings, and orders served upon the party removing the action. This is known as the Notice of Removal Package.

    An original plus one copy of the Notice of Removal Package is required. The Clerk's Office will retain the original for the case file and send a copy to the judge. If you want a file-stamped copy for your records, submit an additional copy and a self-addressed, postage-paid envelope.

  • What is the significance of the number and letters in my case number?

    Each action is assigned a case number by the Clerk's Office. Essentially, the case number is composed of five parts, although it is not always written completely in that form. The first digit is the division where the case was filed (1: Camden, 2: Newark, and 3: Trenton). For example, a case filed in Trenton would start with 3. After the division number and colon is the year the case was filed (e.g., 98, 99, 00) and cv for civil, cr for criminal, mc for miscellaneous, and m for magistrate. This is followed by the sequential case number, and then the initials of the presiding judge.

    Sample Case Number: 3:00-cv-5 (GEB).

    The sample indicates the case was filed in Trenton (Office 3), that it is the fifth case filed in the District in 2000 and that it was assigned to Judge Garrett E. Brown.

    Usually the Case Number is written in this form: Civil 00-5 (GEB), however in the computer database you will see it written as 3:0 -cv-5.